Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day 141


Scapular.

Driving from Cleveland to Virginia Beach today was not the smooth 8-hour car trip anticipated. Traffic was heavy. Very heavy. It being Labor Day was no help at all.

Stand stills.
Accidents.
Police cruisers.

And an upset stomach.

Not the ideal car trip.
Made even more nerve-wracking when my attention came upon the fact that I wasn’t wearing my scapular.

I always wear my scapular. Always.
I think I have had it on most every minute of every day since August 1st, 2005.
Not the same scapular throughout this whole time (105 degree fevers tend to destroy more than just the party atmosphere I the hospital) but a blessed scapular nonetheless.

For those unfamiliar…and of course, I am not claiming expertise on the subject…the scapular is a religious cloth necklace (for lack of the correct word) with a small rectangle that is worn on your chest and a matching worn on your back made in honor of Mary’s appearance on Mt Carmel at some point in history. The vary in phrasing. On the front of my original was written “Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, please pray for us” while the back declared that “Whoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire…Our Lady’s scapular promise”.

Even though, death from leukemia seems less likely every day, I kept the scapular.
Not superstitious as some have teased.

But a believer. And to be honest, I don’t even have a clue what the vision of Mary was about and to whom, but she hasn’t been wrong yet, so I won’t push it.

Besides, a get-out-of-jail/hell-card might come in handy one of these days.

P.S. For those wondering, yes, I had an extra in the car and am wearing it as I type!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good to see you back in the blog world... missed you.

Sorry to hear about the rough day :(