Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 95


Cigarettes.

I have a friend who smokes.
Only one.

Seems bizarre but just the one.

I have been putting the pressure on him to quit.
Cut back.
Please, give it up.

Then at lunch today, an interesting argument was made to leave him be.
In November last year there was a bill on the local ballot (Issue 18) that would allow public funding to the arts from an increased sales tax...on cigarettes.
The cigarettes he now purchases go towards the budgets of not-for-profit theatres in Cuyahoga County. Theatre I work at and support. Theatres that I run. Including, Mercury Summer Stock.

I may feel guilty for a little. But just a little when I say:
"Go ahead. Smoke. As much as you want!"

1 comment:

Lisa G said...

Brian, I'm so happy to hear your cancer is in remission. I hope for continues good health to you and your family. Tell Danny boy I said hi.

Lisa- your old teen theatre friend.