Saturday, March 31, 2007

Day 7



Don't You Love Farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear

Listening to Send In The Clowns tonight during the show made me wonder...what IS the song about? What do others think it is? Is theirs the same as my interpretation? Has my interpretation changed in the past few years?

Which then led me to realize just how brilliant Sondheim's lyrics are that they can evoke that much thought from me...
So I am curious, what does Send In The Clowns say to you?

Send me your thoughts and I may actually do some research on the subject...but maybe not. It might just be more fun to never know if Stephen Sondheim and I are on the same wavelength!

But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.

3 comments:

. said...

During the show, I was thinking the same thing as well.

The lyrics of the song talk about reality in love being different than what the singer had originally assumed. The man she is singing to is not on the same path as her... and sending in the clowns is the human ability to laugh at life in the face of disappointment.

If you can't laugh at it, it'll destroy you. Sometimes finding humor in sadness is the only thing people have to keep them going.

Sondheim is a modern-day philosopher.

Billy said...

I never really paid a lot of attention to this song before this blog but I love the sound of it. I did know that it was written about a couple that is growing apart. I just never really grasped the "Send In The Clowns" part.

There is actually an entry on Wikipedia about this song. Basically, saying "Send in the clowns" was an old circus adage that was used when the act was going wrong or someone got hurt. Now the song makes a lot of sense and it's so complicated after all. Great lyrics though!

Billy said...

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.


I keep looking at the last line of this song. Maybe it's supposed to mean the couple is not giving up yet? The way I see it, using the circus adage that is, when the clowns come in the act would be over. Maybe they're giving the relationship more time. Maybe there is hope after all. Hmmm.