Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 38


Tuck Everlasting.

The first week or so of the cancer fight saw me in and out of sleep.
Everytime my eyes were able to open and register who, what, where and when, I would notice I had a bag of blood coarsing through a tube and into my veins.
As I would drift back to the realm of sleep, I would inevitably dream that i was some form of vampire.
A creature, thriving on human blood to maintain existance on earth for eternity.
Living forever must have had fantastic sub-conscious appeal during those first weeks.

What would it be like to live forever?
Would it be a blessing?
A curse?

A combination most likely.
Would you be able to love as fully?
Would your love be burdened by the constant knowledge of imminent departure?
Would you get bored?

Seeing as the likelihood of this oocuring wages on...never, is it even worth pondering?
I personally can't think of anything else worth dreaming of tonight!

2 comments:

Billy said...

Reading this, I'm reminded of the Queen song "Who Wants To Live Forever?". If you don't know it by them, maybe you'll remember that Sarah Brightman covered a few years back.

At first glance, I think most people would say they want to live forever. Then to think of the consequences...most people would say no. It's hard enough to watch the ones you love go away throughout your life. One lifetime of that is all I think I could handle.

Oh...and I think I would probably freak out seeing a bag of blood being pumped into me. Scary. I don't do well with blood and needles. Ick. It's it amazing how they can pump it out of you in minutes yet it can take hours to put one bag back into you?!

Amanda said...

You are amazing