Saturday, April 7, 2007

Day 14


Church and Theatre.
These two things aren't normally paired together but I was struck tonight during the Easter Vigil Mass at the church in my hometown just how similar both instituitions are for one reason...audience (or in the Church's case, parishoners). Looking around at mass you see a very familiar crowd to most theatres - the elderly. The majority of church and theatre goers are well beyond their 20s, 30s and even 40s. Sad, really...for both. Why don't the young people go to church anymore? Why is it hard to get them to come to the theatre? As they age and settle into their lives will they begin to attend both? Or will both church and theatre attendance continue to dwindle until there is nothing left?
Depressing. So I once again encourage all of my friends to get away from your computers and televisions and swing over to your church or patronize your local theatres. Develop that sense of 'community' I fear we are losing.
On the bright side, tomorrow is Easter and my last Mass for the weekend (my voice is ready for a needed berak) and then a huge family dinner (minus Daniel, whom we will all miss) and some downtime with the folks.
Here comes Peter Cottontail...

1 comment:

Billy said...

It's really amazing to me how many young people there are that don't go to church. I think a big problem is that so many people in the last decade or so have used the bible to alienate whole groups of people. Thankfully I've found a parish that makes me feel completely welcome and loved. I hope others will start to look past the bad and find their way back.